Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hair Growth Cycles

Normally, our hairs grow for 2-3 years before entering their resting phase which lasts for about 4 months. So under normal conditions, the resting phase is when the old hair follicle has fallen out and a new hair is rebuilt using a stem cell from a reservoir beneath the hair. With us hair loss sufferers however, the hair follicles are never able to rebuild due to the inflammation caused by the DHT. So two question: Are the stem cells being released and destroyed or are they in a sort of stasis? Second, if the stem cells still exist how long will it take to regrow hair from them?

Of course, I want to believe that they are being held in stasis but that most likely isn't the case. I didn't go bald overnight, it was a slow process of hairs getting thinner and thinner and the going away altogether. So the stem cells were being used during that time but at some point they may have simply gone dormant. I am not sure of the real answer and am still researching. If someone knows please tell me.

Now, I've been trying to figure out a semi-accurate time frame for hair to regrow. Looking at astressin-b, it took about a month for the mice to regrow their hair. Mice have shorter hair cycles than us humans. Their resting phase is approximately 2 weeks where ours is about 4 months. So if hair growth between mouse and human is a linear function, the estimated time to regrow hair would be 8 months. If it isn't linear then it could be anywhere from 8 months to 3 years. I am hoping for 8 months.

I am still quite confident in my solution and really feel like I have been gaining my hair back. I will post more pictures soon!

6 comments:

  1. Made my mix today, I also take a DHT inhibitor every day though so my effects will hopefully happen faster and be easier to see. I will take pictures and let you know how it goes! Ready to see your new pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might make a recommendation to not apply the DHT inhibitor and the DMSO at the same time. Or research the crap out of the DHT inhibitor and figure out how the DHT inhibitor will interact with the rest of your body. Again, DMSO is a strong solvent and will pull most things throughout your body. I'll post some new pics tonight hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The DHT inhibitor I take is internal. It's a pill not a topical. Does your mixture burn your scalp? I have read that DMSO is suppose to tingle and some people even claim that it "burns", but it definitely is enough to almost turn me off from trying this experiment. It does lessen and go away after about 10 minutes though. Just wondering if you know of any way to add something to this mix to lessen this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DMSO is highly antioxidant and scavengs for free oxygen atoms. Once that happens it breaks apart and a couple different molecules one being a peroxide. The tingling is similar to the feeling of hydrogen peroxide. I use a 70/30,DMSO and water and never felt a burning sensation. It does itch though sometimes which I imagine is due to oxidants on or in the skin. I am used to the feeling now and almost welcome it; it let's me know where it's been applied. If there is an equine store nearby, they usually have samples of DMSO mixtures to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stem cells do still exist according to latest research. Minoxidil benefits are observed after about 4 months so I would say that may be linked to the time in the resting phase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know. My next curiosity is how the hair follicle matrix is rebuilt. Work has been keeping me real busy lately. I wish I had more time.

    ReplyDelete